top of page
solar panel



Loft insulation is one of the most cost effective ways to conserve heat inside your home. It is a relatively low cost installation and can pay for itself within a few years due to the savings that you can make on your fuel bills. 


Figure 1: Photograph showing 270mm of mineral wool insulation being installed. The top layer of insulation is laid across the joists to reduce the amount of heat loss next to the joists.


If your home has an accessible loft space, with no damp or condensation problems, it will be a good candidate for loft insulation. Even if there is already insulation in the loft it may need a top-up, although if your loft already has two layers of insulation installed then this should be adequate. However, if there is only one layer of loft insulation, and the loft hasn’t been insulated since 2000 then it is likely that extra loft insulation is required.

The most popular types of loft insulation such as mineral wool and glass wool can be effective for over 100 years and the insulation will pay for itself over and over again in that time.

It is important not to compress the loft insulation with items that you are storing in your loft as this will reduce the effectiveness of the insulation. If storage space is required in your loft, specialist products, called stilts, can be used to raise the floor level above the insulation, so that floorboards can be installed. 

For lofts with difficult access, for example lofts with low head room or lofts with small access hatches, rolls of insulation aren’t suitable. Instead a loose, fire-retardant insulation material is blown into the loft using specialist equipment. 

If your property doesn’t have a standard loft, has a vaulted ceiling or has bedrooms in the attic, then the alternative way to insulate the roof space is Room In Roof Insulation

What thickness does the insulation need to be?

The thickness of loft insulation required depends on the insulation material that is being used.

Mineral wool and glass wool are the most common types of loft insulation used in the industry, and to comply with current building regulations then 270mm (almost 1 foot) should be installed. If sheep’s wool or loose fill insulation is used then then the thickness should be 300mm, whereas cellulose insulation requires a depth of 220mm.

Professional loft insulation installation

A professional installer of loft insulation will ensure that the loft hatch is insulated an draught proofed, there is adequate ventilation in the roof space; and that walkboards are fitted to provide access to a cold water tank or boiler if there is one in the loft space.


We are able to obtain funding for Loft Insulation to be professionally installed for some properties. An energy assessment will need to be carried out on your property to establish whether it is suitable for loft insulation to be installed and to calculate how much funding will be available.

This funding is based upon how much carbon dioxide will be saved by installing loft insulation. The amount of funding varies depending on the area of loft that needs insulating, the existing thickness of insulation within the loft and the type of fuel you have in your property. The funding is allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. 



Figure 2: Photograph showing the effectiveness of loft insulation. The bungalow on the left has 270mm of insulation in the loft, whereas the bungalow on the right has only 20mm of insulation – as a result of inadequate insulation the heat is being lost through the roof and melting the snow.


If you would like to apply for funding, please complete the Grant Checker on our Home Page and we will contact you to confirm your eligibility.

Check Your Eligibility Using Our Grant Checker

Please ensure that all information provided below is 100% accurate. Any errors in your personal information could delay or prevent you qualifying for a government funded grant.

Please note that you do not necessarily need to be in receipt of tax credits or benefits as we still may be able to obtain funding for you via your Council or through other funding schemes.

bottom of page