Energy Efficiency Grants in Monmouthshire
Residents in Monmouthshire could be entitled to free upgrades thanks to new energy efficiency grants available. If you are currently struggling to afford your heating bills or even avoiding switching on your heating altogether, help is at hand. Under the government’s ECO4 scheme, you could qualify for free energy upgrades that make your home warmer and bring down your energy bills.
From insulation and solar panels to efficient and environmentally friendly heating systems, the scheme offers many ways to improve energy efficiency throughout your home. Let’s take a closer look at these home energy efficiency grants, how they work and how you can apply.
What is the Energy Company Obligation (ECO4) scheme?
The ECO4 scheme is a UK government scheme that places an obligation on energy companies to improve the energy efficiency of homes that are currently very inefficient. Here are some more details about the scheme:
Purpose: The purpose of ECO4 is to help to combat the growing problem of fuel poverty by making energy efficient upgrades to the homes that need it.
How It Works: It is the duty of energy companies to improve energy efficiency in UK homes. They decide which initiatives to fund and how to partner with. These funds are paid to installers on completion of the works and are not paid directly to homeowners.
Duration: The ECO4 scheme started on 1 April 2022 and will end on 31 March 2026 (or earlier if the funding has been used before this date).
Target Homes: Homes in Monmouthshire with a poor energy efficiency rating, specifically those with an EPC rating of D-G, are included in this scheme.
Improvement Goals: A new energy efficiency standard dictates that Monmouthshire homes in bands D and E should be improved to be at least a band C. Homes in bands F and G should be improved to reach at least band D.
Types of Improvements: This energy efficiency scheme promotes the installation of improved insulation, efficient heating systems and the connection of homes to natural gas mains supplies.
Put simply, ECO4 focuses on making homes in Monmouthshire more energy efficient, and focusing especially on homes that have very poor levels of efficiency.
What Energy-Saving Measures Are Available?
For Monmouthshire residents interested in improving the energy efficiency of their properties, a choice of improvements is available. These include:
● Electric Storage Heaters: High heat retention storage heaters utilise cheap off-peak electricity to charge overnight and the heaters then release the heat slowly throughout the day. Storage heaters can be a much more energy efficient and cost effective way of heating a property as opposed to electric convector heaters.
● External Wall Insulation – EWI involves installing insulation boards on the outside walls of the property and rendering over the top. EWI is a great way of insulating a solid wall property. However, it is not suitable if the property is a listed building or in a conservation area.
● Loft Insulation: Adds or upgrades insulation in the attic to retain heat within the habitable rooms in the property.
● Internal Wall Insulation: This work involves installing insulation and plasterboard on the inside walls of the property. This is a very effective way of insulating older properties that are constructed with solid brick or solid stone walls.
● Cavity Wall Insulation: Polystyrene beads are inserted within the cavity between the external and internal walls to reduce heat loss via the walls. Not all properties are suitable for cavity wall insulation and so a survey would need to be carried out to determine if your property was suitable.
● Gas Central Heating: If there are currently no radiators in your property and the property has an existing gas meter, then funding may be available to install a boiler and radiators to supply hot water and heat.
● Air Source Heat Pump: An ASHP harnesses heat from the external environment to provide hot water and central heating for your home. This can be a very effective way of heating a home, especially if used in conjunction with solar panels, which would provide free electricity to run the heat pump.
● Solar PV: Renewable technology that converts sunlight into electricity, to provide free electric for your home every day of the year.
● Room In Roof Insulation: Used to insulate a loft that has been converted into a habitable room.
Are You Struggling With Your Heating Costs? Help is Available.
If you’re one of the millions of UK residents struggling to keep your home warm and pay your energy bills, help is available. You may be living with fuel poverty without even realising it but there are some telltale signs. Perhaps you are choosing between paying for heating or paying for essentials like food and clothing. Maybe you only heat certain rooms in your home. Or maybe you can only afford to heat your home for short periods every day.
ECO4 energy saving grants are available to improve your energy efficiency and reduce your bills. There are many reasons why a home may be subject to fuel poverty. Many homes in Monmouthshire aren’t connected to the mains gas network and instead have to depend on more costly fuels like coal, oil, LPG or electricity. Many homes in the region are also stone-built which means they can be cold, draughty and difficult to keep warm.
How ECO4 Energy Saving Grants Can Help
The ECO4 scheme offers a wide selection of benefits to UK homeowners, landlords and private tenants. Here are just some of them:
Financial Savings: The ECO4 program is there to help residents make substantial savings on their energy bills. Free upgrades, such as heating, insulation, and solar panels can help to create a more efficient home with lower energy costs.
Enhanced Comfort: Improved heating and insulation can improve your comfort no end. With free energy upgrades, you can say goodbye to draughts and cold spots and experience lower bills and improved warmth.
Environmental Impact: Are you concerned that your current heating system is causing higher emissions? By upgrading your heating system or insulating your home, you can reduce your carbon footprint.
Increase Property Value: Did you know that you could increase the value of your home with energy upgrades? Potential buyers in the future will usually be attracted to a home that is more economical to run.
Support For Vulnerable People: Fuel poverty is a big problem for those who are vulnerable and from low-income homes. ECO4 upgrades are available to vulnerable people even if not in receipt of benefits.
Health Benefits: A cold and damp home can contribute to health conditions such as asthma and arthritis. Energy improvements could make a big impact and make the home healthier.
A Choice of Options: Whether you’re looking for better insulation, a new heating system, or you’re not sure, ECO4 offers a wide selection of home energy improvements.
No or Low Upfront Cost: ECO4 energy saving grants come with no or very low upfront costs.
Government-Backed: ECO4 is a government-backed scheme that ensures all work is carried out to the highest industry standard.
Local Authority Flexibility (LA Flex): Thanks to the LA Flex scheme, you might be eligible for funding even if you don’t receive the benefits listed below. Councils can determine who is eligible and allow the scheme to be extended further to other homes in Monmouthshire.
Am I Eligible For ECO4 Energy Efficiency Grants in Monmouthshire?
The good news is that most types of homes in Monmouthshire, including houses, flats and bungalows can get energy saving grants. You're likely to be eligible for the scheme if somebody in your property receives any of the following:
● Working Tax Credit
● Pension Credit
● Housing Benefit
● Income Support
● Income-Related Employment & Support Allowance
● Income-Based Job Seekers Allowance
● Child Tax Credits
● Child Benefits (depending on how much you earn)
● Universal Credit
Can I Get a Grant If I’m Not on Benefits?
The LA Flex scheme, part of the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme, is available to Monmouthshire homeowners, landlords and tenants. This scheme is designed to cater for homes where an occupant has a long-term health condition, where the home isn’t connected to mains gas or where the total household income is below £31,000.
While the LA Flex scheme isn’t funded by Monmouthshire Council, the council does set the criteria for who is eligible. Two further government schemes, the Great British Insulation Scheme (GBIS) and Local Authority Delivery (LAD) are also available, both aimed at improving the energy efficiency of properties which have low Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) ratings.
How We Can Help You to Apply For Energy Efficient Grants in Monmouthshire
Our free Eligibility Grant Checker will tell you whether you are eligible for an ECO4 energy saving grant. Speak to one of our energy advisors for more details and how to apply. Remember, if someone in your household receives tax credits or any of the benefits mentioned above, you're already eligible and can bypass additional council criteria.
We offer a simple 3-step process:
Apply Online: Begin by completing our online form for a preliminary assessment. Our dedicated grants team will review your submission to see if you qualify for any government funding.
Survey: Upon a successful application, we'll coordinate a no-cost, no-obligation survey. This ensures you benefit from the maximum grant possible and introduces you to the best energy-saving products tailored for your home.
Installation: Energy Saving Grants work with some of the best Trustmark accredited installers throughout the UK. This is your assurance of quality and that all work will be completed to the highest possible standard. Installations come with an insurance backed guarantee of between 2 and 25 years, depending on the energy saving measure installed.
We have assisted hundreds of residents in Monmouthshire with home energy efficiency grants, including those living in Abergavenny, Chepstow, Monmouth, Usk, and Caldicot. From renewable heating and insulation to solar panel installation, we can help you to get one or more of these improvements. Unfortunately, we are unable to help those living in council or social housing and advise you to get in touch with your landlord or housing association.
Apply Today to Unlock Energy Savings Throughout Your Home
Find out how much you could save by applying for ECO energy efficiency grants in Monmouthshire. Enter your contact details in the Grant Checker and a grants advisor will contact you to discuss which funding schemes you will be eligible for.