Energy Efficiency Grants in Merthyr Tydfil
For homeowners in Merthyr Tydfil, there is some exciting news about home energy efficiency grants to share. If you’re currently struggling with your energy costs and making the decision to keep your heating off or low, you could be affected by the fuel poverty crisis without realising.
This is a problem that is impacting millions of people in the UK right now and the problem shows no sign of slowing down. If you’re looking for a way to make your home more comfortable and reduce your energy bills, the ECO4 energy saving grants scheme could be the answer. Let’s take a closer look into this funding and whether you could be eligible for free home improvements.
What is the Energy Company Obligation (ECO4) scheme?
The ECO4 scheme is a UK government scheme designed to compel energy companies to improve energy efficiency in homes across the country. Here’s what it involves:
Purpose: This program is aimed at addressing two critical issues: fuel poverty, which occurs when people struggle to afford heating for their homes, and reducing harmful carbon emissions to combat climate change.
How it Works: Energy companies are obligated to improve the energy efficiency of homes, and choose which projects to fund and which partners to work with. Funding is distributed to installers rather than homeowners.
Duration: The ECO4 scheme started on 1 April 2022 and will end on 31 March 2026, or earlier if the funding has been fully allocated prior to this date.
Target Homes: The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme primarily targets the least energy-efficient homes, particularly those with energy ratings of D to G.
Improvement Goals: The new standard in Merthyr Tydfil for homes in energy bands D and E is to be improved to at least energy band C. Additionally, homes in bands F and G should aim to reach at least energy band D.
Types of Improvements: The program encourages the installation of improved insulation, initial installation of central heating, utilisation of renewable heating alternatives, and connections to the primary gas infrastructure.
In plain language, ECO4's goal is to encourage energy companies to assist in making homes more energy-efficient, with a particular emphasis on homes that currently lack energy efficiency measures.
What Energy-Saving Measures Are Available?
Merthyr Tydfil residents have the choice of the following energy improvements:
● Electric Storage Heaters: High heat retention storage heaters utilise cheap off-peak electricity to charge overnight and the heaters then release the heat slowly throughout the day. Storage heaters can be a much more energy efficient and cost effective way of heating a property as opposed to electric convector heaters.
● External Wall Insulation – EWI involves installing insulation boards on the outside walls of the property and rendering over the top. EWI is a great way of insulating a solid wall property. However, it is not suitable if the property is a listed building or in a conservation area.
● Loft Insulation: Adds or upgrades insulation in the attic to retain heat within the habitable rooms in the property.
● Internal Wall Insulation: This work involves installing insulation and plasterboard on the inside walls of the property. This is a very effective way of insulating older properties that are constructed with solid brick or solid stone walls.
● Cavity Wall Insulation: Polystyrene beads are inserted within the cavity between the external and internal walls to reduce heat loss via the walls. Not all properties are suitable for cavity wall insulation and so a survey would need to be carried out to determine if your property was suitable.
● Gas Central Heating: If there are currently no radiators in your property and the property has an existing gas meter, then funding may be available to install a boiler and radiators to supply hot water and heat.
● Air Source Heat Pump: An ASHP harnesses heat from the external environment to provide hot water and central heating for your home. This can be a very effective way of heating a home, especially if used in conjunction with solar panels, which would provide free electricity to run the heat pump.
● Solar PV: Renewable technology that converts sunlight into electricity, to provide free electric for your home every day of the year.
● Room In Roof Insulation: Used to insulate a loft that has been converted into a habitable room.
Are You Living in Fuel Poverty?
Are you struggling to cover your energy bills these days? Maybe you're limiting your heating usage to short periods during the day. Fuel poverty is a situation where a household can't afford the necessary energy expenses to keep their home warm, safe, and adequately lit. This often leads to difficult choices between heating the home and meeting other essential needs like food and clothing.
How ECO4 Energy Saving Grants Can Help
Applying for ECO4 funding brings a multitude of advantages for homeowners, landlords, and tenants alike. Here are some compelling reasons why you should consider it:
Financial Savings: ECO4 offers the potential for significant savings on energy bills. More energy-efficient homes require less energy for heating, resulting in reduced energy costs.
Enhanced Comfort: Energy efficiency upgrades, such as improved insulation and heating systems, can make your home more comfortable. They help maintain consistent temperatures, eliminate draughts, and do away with cold spots.
Environmental Impact: Making your home more energy-efficient reduces its carbon footprint. This is essential for the environment as it contributes to lower greenhouse gas emissions and helps combat climate change.
Increased Property Value: Homes with better energy efficiency ratings often have a higher resale value. This is an attractive feature for potential buyers who seek a comfortable and cost-effective home.
Support for Vulnerable Individuals: ECO4 specifically targets those in fuel poverty, vulnerable individuals, and low-income households. This means that even if you don't qualify for certain national benefits, you might still be eligible for assistance if you're struggling with energy bills.
Health Benefits: Living in a well-insulated and properly heated home can lead to better health outcomes. Cold and damp homes can exacerbate respiratory issues, arthritis, and mental health problems.
A Range of Options: ECO4 funding covers various solutions tailored to individual home needs, from wall insulation to renewable heating systems. This ensures that homes receive the most suitable upgrades.
No or Low Upfront Costs: Many improvements may come with no or minimal upfront costs for homeowners, making it an economically viable option.
Government-Backed: The ECO scheme is supported by the UK Government, guaranteeing that the work meets specific standards and that homeowners are safeguarded.
Local Authority Flexibility (LA Flex): This provision empowers local authorities to identify households in their areas that are in or at risk of fuel poverty, thereby expanding the potential eligibility for the scheme.
Am I Eligible For ECO4 Energy Efficiency Grants in Merthyr Tydfil?
A high proportion of homes in Merthyr Tydfil are eligible for a grant, especially homes which are not connected to the mains gas network and have to use oil, LPG, electric or solid fuel for heating. You’re likely to be eligible for the scheme if you receive any of the following:
● Universal Credit
● Housing Benefit
● Child Tax Credits
● Working Tax Credit
● Pension Credit
● Income Support
● Income-Related Employment & Support Allowance
● Income-Based Job Seekers Allowance
● Child Benefits (depending on how much you earn)
Can I Get a Grant If I’m Not on Benefits?
The LA Flex program is a component of the government-backed Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme, and it's accessible to homeowners, landlords, and tenants in Merthyr Tydfil. It's specifically tailored for homes without a mains gas connection, homes with occupants who have long-term health conditions, or homes with a total income below £31,000 per year.
While LA Flex isn't funded directly by the local council, they play a role in determining who can benefit from it, simplifying the process for you to access the appropriate support. Two further government schemes, the Great British Insulation Scheme (GBIS) and Local Authority Delivery (LAD) are also available, both aimed at improving the energy efficiency of properties which have low Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) ratings.
How We Can Help You to Apply For Energy Efficient Grants in Merthyr Tydfil
To find out if you qualify for these grants, simply use the Grant Checker below and one of our grant advisors will reach out to you to discuss the qualification criteria. It's worth noting that if someone in your household already receives tax credits or any of the mentioned benefits, you're automatically eligible, without needing to meet additional council criteria.
We offer a simple 3-step process:
Apply Online: Begin by completing our online form for a preliminary assessment. Our dedicated grants team will review your submission to see if you qualify for any government funding.
Survey: Upon a successful application, we'll coordinate a no-cost, no-obligation survey. This ensures you benefit from the maximum grant possible and introduces you to the best energy-saving products tailored for your home.
Installation: Energy Saving Grants, only work with Trustmark accredited installers. This is your guarantee of quality no matter which energy-saving improvements you have fitted. All energy-saving measures installed via the Government grant scheme are supplied with an insurance-backed guarantee of up to 25 years, depending on the specific improvement carried out.
We've helped numerous residents in Merthyr Tydfil, including those in Bedlinog, Cyfarthfa, Dowlais, Gurnos, and Merthyr Vale, to get funding for solar panels, central heating, and insulation. Please note that we are unable to assist residents in social housing; if you are in social housing, please reach out to your landlord for energy efficiency improvements.
Act Today - These Grants Won’t Be Around Forever
Don't miss out on potential energy savings for your home. Apply today to unlock the benefits of ECO energy efficiency grants in Merthyr Tydfil. Simply enter your contact details in the Grant Checker below, and one of our grants advisors will get in touch with you to discuss the funding schemes you may be eligible for.