Energy Efficiency Grants in the Isle of Anglesey / Cyngor Sir Ynys Mon
Are you a resident of the Isle of Anglesey / Cyngor Sir Ynys Mon? Are you worried about the rising cost of heating and being able to afford to keep your home warm? There is a growing problem in the UK and that is fuel poverty. More and more people are experiencing hardship when it comes to energy costs. If that describes you, it’s important to realise you’re not alone and also, that help is available.
Energy efficiency grants are available under the government’s ECO scheme. ECO4 energy saving grants are designed to improve your home’s energy efficiency and help you to make big savings. Here we take a look at home energy efficiency grants and how you can apply for improvements under the ECO4 scheme.
What is the Energy Company Obligation (ECO4) scheme?
The ECO4 scheme is a government-backed funding scheme that encourages energy companies to improve efficiency in the UK’s less-efficient homes. Here’s what it has to offer:
Purpose: The scheme is designed to combat the problem of fuel poverty in the UK (where people are having to spend more than 10% of their income just to heat their homes) and reduce carbon emissions.
How it Works: Energy companies have a duty to ensure homes are as energy-efficient as possible. They decide which projects to fund and who they will partner with. The grant is given to installers after they have completed any works and not to homeowners directly.
Duration: The ECO4 scheme started on 1 April 2022 and will end on 31 March 2026 – or sooner, if the funding is allocated before this date.
Target Homes: Homes that are targeted under the scheme specifically have an EPC rating of D-G. The aim is to significantly upgrade these homes.
Improvement Goals: Isle of Anglesey / Cyngor Sir Ynys Mon homes in bands D and E should be improved until they are at least a band C. Homes in bands F and G should be improved to at least a band D.
Types of Improvements: There are a number of improvements available, including better insulation, renewable heating and connection to main gas supplies.
Quite simply, ECO4 is all about the energy companies making more homes energy efficient and focusing on those homes that are currently very inefficient.
What Energy-Saving Improvements Are Included?
Isle of Anglesey / Cyngor Sir Ynys Mon residents keen to upgrade their homes have a number of options available to them, including:
● Electric Storage Heaters: High heat retention storage heaters utilise cheap off-peak electricity to charge overnight and the heaters then release the heat slowly throughout the day. Storage heaters can be a much more energy efficient and cost effective way of heating a property as opposed to electric convector heaters.
● External Wall Insulation – EWI involves installing insulation boards on the outside walls of the property and rendering over the top. EWI is a great way of insulating a solid wall property. However, it is not suitable if the property is a listed building or in a conservation area.
● Loft Insulation: Adds or upgrades insulation in the attic to retain heat within the habitable rooms in the property.
● Internal Wall Insulation: This work involves installing insulation and plasterboard on the inside walls of the property. This is a very effective way of insulating older properties that are constructed with solid brick or solid stone walls.
● Cavity Wall Insulation: Polystyrene beads are inserted within the cavity between the external and internal walls to reduce heat loss via the walls. Not all properties are suitable for cavity wall insulation and so a survey would need to be carried out to determine if your property was suitable.
● Gas Central Heating: If there are currently no radiators in your property and the property has an existing gas meter, then funding may be available to install a boiler and radiators to supply hot water and heat.
● Air Source Heat Pump: An ASHP harnesses heat from the external environment to provide hot water and central heating for your home. This can be a very effective way of heating a home, especially if used in conjunction with solar panels, which would provide free electricity to run the heat pump.
● Solar PV: Renewable technology that converts sunlight into electricity, to provide free electric for your home every day of the year.
● Room In Roof Insulation: Used to insulate a loft that has been converted into a habitable room.
Are You Struggling With Your Energy Costs?
If you are finding it a struggle to pay your heating costs, you’re not alone. Fuel Poverty is a huge problem in the UK, one that is growing. You may be affected if you are constantly finding it difficult to afford to heat your home or you’re making tough choices between affording heating or other essential expenses.
Fuel poverty can be a particular problem for homes in the Isle of Anglesey / Cyngor Sir Ynys Mon as many aren’t connected to the mains gas network and rely on coal, LPG, coal or electricity. A lot of properties in the region are also stone-built, a material that is not very energy efficient and is expensive to insulate.
How ECO4 Energy Saving Grants Can Help
ECO4 energy saving grants offer a wide selection of benefits to homeowners, landlords and tenants. Here are some of the reasons to apply:
Financial Savings: One of the biggest advantages of ECO4 is the energy savings it can bring. That’s because energy efficiency improvements will make your home easier to heat which in turn brings down your bills.
Enhanced Comfort: Energy efficiency improvements are one of the best ways to make your home more comfortable, and reduce draughts and cold spots.
Environmental Impact: Energy-efficient homes are better for you and better for the environment. ECO4 helps to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions your home makes and combat climate change.
Increase Property Value: Homes that have a better EPC rating can also command a higher property value when you come to sell.
Support For Vulnerable People: The ECO4 scheme also targets the vulnerable and those from low-income households. Even if you don’t receive benefits, you might still be eligible if you struggle to afford your heating costs.
Health Benefits: If you or somebody in your home suffers from arthritis or respiratory problems, these conditions can be made worse by a cold home. Energy improvements help to improve health, too.
A Choice of Options: It’s important that your home receives the most suitable upgrades. ECO4 offers a wide selection of options, including wall insulation, loft insulation, heating systems, solar panels and more.
No or Low Upfront Cost: If you’re worried about upfront costs, it’s good to know that most improvements come with no or very low upfront costs.
Government-Backed: Because ECO4 is backed by the UK government, you can be sure that all work will be carried out to the latest standards.
Local Authority Flexibility (LA Flex): This provision is in place to allow local councils to extend the eligibility of the scheme. Even if you don’t receive benefits, you could still be eligible.
Am I Eligible For ECO4 Energy Efficiency Grants in Isle of Anglesey / Cyngor Sir Ynys Mon?
Most homes in the Isle of Anglesey / Cyngor Sir Ynys Mon, like houses, flats, and bungalows, can get energy-saving grants. You're likely to be eligible for the scheme if you receive any of the following:
● Working Tax Credit
● Universal Credit
● Pension Credit
● Housing Benefit
● Income Support
● Income-Related Employment & Support Allowance
● Income-Based Job Seekers Allowance
● Child Tax Credits
● Child Benefits (depending on how much you earn)
Can I Get a Grant If I’m Not on Benefits?
Don’t worry, if you’re not on benefits as you could still be eligible for energy-saving improvements through the LA Flex programme. This is part of the ECO scheme and is available to Isle of Anglesey / Cyngor Sir Ynys Mon homeowners, landlords and tenants. It’s designed for homes where an occupant has a long-term health condition, where there is no connection to mains gas, or where the household income is below £31,000 per year.
LA Flex isn’t funded directly by the local authority but they do set who can benefit from it. Two further government schemes, the Great British Insulation Scheme (GBIS) and Local Authority Delivery (LAD) are also available, both aimed at improving the energy efficiency of properties which have low Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) ratings.
How We Can Help You to Apply For Energy Efficient Grants in Isle of Anglesey / Cyngor Sir Ynys Mon
You can use our free Eligibility Grant Checker to check if you qualify for ECO4 energy saving grants. One of our energy advisors will be in touch with you to discuss your eligibility further and the improvements available to you. Remember, if you or somebody else in your household receives tax credits or any of the benefits mentioned above, you are already eligible.
We offer a simple 3-step process:
Apply Online: Begin by completing our online form for a preliminary assessment. Our dedicated grants team will review your submission to see if you qualify for any government funding.
Survey: Upon a successful application, we'll coordinate a no-cost, no-obligation survey. This ensures you benefit from the maximum grant possible and introduces you to the best energy-saving products tailored for your home.
Installation: Energy Saving Grants work with Trustmark accredited installers nationwide. This ensures all work is completed to the highest standard. All installations through government grants are supplied with an insurance backed guarantee of up to 25 years. The length of guarantee varies based on the specific measure being installed.
We’ve assisted many residents in Isle of Anglesey / Cyngor Sir Ynys Mon, including those in Holyhead, Llangefni, Amlwch, Menai Bridge and Beaumaris. From insulation and solar panels to storage heaters and air source heating, we can help you to access a wide selection of improvements. Please note that we cannot assist residents in council or social housing.
Apply Today to Unlock Energy Savings in Your Home
If you’re looking for help reducing your energy bills and escaping fuel poverty, our energy advisors can assist you. They can advise you which funding schemes you may be eligible for and complete the application process with you.