Energy Efficiency Grants in Carmarthenshire
Are you a resident in Carmarthenshire? Are you growing increasingly worried about affording your heating bill? Perhaps you’re struggling to heat your home due to high energy costs. The good news is that you could be eligible for free energy upgrades to your home thanks to some new energy efficiency grants in Carmarthenshire that are available.
These grants are known as ECO4 energy saving grants and they are designed to reduce your energy bills and make heating your home more affordable. Let’s take a look at these home energy efficiency grants in greater detail and find out how you can apply if you are eligible.
What is the Energy Company Obligation (ECO4) Scheme?
The ECO4 scheme is a government-backed scheme that is designed to encourage UK energy companies to improve home energy efficiency through energy-efficient upgrades. Here’s how it works:
Purpose: The UK has a huge ‘fuel poverty’ problem as the UK has some of the oldest and least energy efficient housing stock in the world. ECO4 is designed to fight this growing issue and reduce harmful carbon emissions at the same time.
How it Works: The big energy companies have a duty to improve energy efficiency in homes. They decide which projects to fund and who to work with. This grant is not given directly to homeowners.
Duration: The ECO4 scheme started on 1 April 2022 and will end on 31 March 2026, or earlier if all of the £4 billion in funding has been allocated prior to this.
Target Homes: The ECO4 scheme is aimed at making less energy-efficient homes efficient, especially those with an EPC rating of D-G.
Improvement Goals: Carmarthenshire homes in bands D and E should be improved to at least band C. Homes in bands F and G should be upgraded to at least band D.
Types of Improvements: The ECO4 scheme offers a wide selection of energy efficiency improvements, including renewable heating systems, insulation and solar panel installation.
What Energy-Saving Measures Are Available?
There is a range of energy efficiency upgrades available to Ceredigion residents, including:
● Electric Storage Heaters: High heat retention storage heaters utilise cheap off-peak electricity to charge overnight and the heaters then release the heat slowly throughout the day. Storage heaters can be a much more energy efficient and cost effective way of heating a property as opposed to electric convector heaters.
● External Wall Insulation – EWI involves installing insulation boards on the outside walls of the property and rendering over the top. EWI is a great way of insulating a solid wall property. However, it is not suitable if the property is a listed building or in a conservation area.
● Loft Insulation: Adds or upgrades insulation in the attic to retain heat within the habitable rooms in the property.
● Internal Wall Insulation: This work involves installing insulation and plasterboard on the inside walls of the property. This is a very effective way of insulating older properties that are constructed with solid brick or solid stone walls.
● Cavity Wall Insulation: Polystyrene beads are inserted within the cavity between the external and internal walls to reduce heat loss via the walls. Not all properties are suitable for cavity wall insulation and so a survey would need to be carried out to determine if your property was suitable.
● Gas Central Heating: If there are currently no radiators in your property and the property has an existing gas meter, then funding may be available to install a boiler and radiators to supply hot water and heat.
● Air Source Heat Pump: An ASHP harnesses heat from the external environment to provide hot water and central heating for your home. This can be a very effective way of heating a home, especially if used in conjunction with solar panels, which would provide free electricity to run the heat pump.
● Solar PV: Renewable technology that converts sunlight into electricity, to provide free electric for your home every day of the year.
● Room In Roof Insulation: Used to insulate a loft that has been converted into a habitable room.
Are You Experiencing Fuel Poverty?
Are you finding it harder and harder to heat your home? Perhaps you’re only putting the heating on for short periods of time a day, or even not at all. Fuel poverty happens when it just gets too expensive to keep your home warm, safe and well-lit. If you’re making the tough choice between heating or eating, read on to discover how you could free yourself from this growing problem.
You are not alone when it comes to fuel poverty and it can happen for many different reasons. For example, many homes in Carmarthenshire aren’t connected to the mains gas network. Instead, they depend on more expensive fuel sources such as oil, coal, LPG or electricity. Many homes in the area are also stone-built and can experience more draughts and cold spots.
How ECO4 Energy Saving Grants Can Help
ECO4 energy saving grants offer many benefits to homeowners, landlords and tenants. Here are some of the main reasons to apply for a grant:
Financial Savings: One of the biggest benefits of ECO energy saving grants is the monetary savings they offer. Energy-efficient homes consume less energy for heating and retain more heat.
Boosted Home Comfort: Upgrading insulation or heating systems can really boost your home's energy efficiency and your personal comfort. If you're dealing with inconsistent temperatures, cold zones, or draughts, energy upgrades can make a remarkable difference.
Eco-Friendly Footprint: Energy-saving renovations not only benefit you but also reduce your carbon footprint, promoting a greener environment.
Enhanced Property Worth: Homes that have better energy efficiency ratings, can attract higher offers than homes with low energy ratings. Prospective homeowners often view effective insulation and energy-saving heating as a significant advantage when buying a new home.
Assistance for the Less Fortunate: A big part of the ECO4 scheme is to help those grappling with fuel poverty and living in a low-income home. Even without qualifying for specific benefits, energy-saving grants could be accessible if you're struggling to manage heating costs.
Health-Related Benefits: Upgrading your home can have a positive impact on your health. For instance, homes that are chilly or damp can aggravate conditions like respiratory issues and arthritis.
Many Upgrade Alternatives: The ECO4 program offers a range of energy-saving solutions including renewable heating systems, wall insulation and solar installations.
No or Minimal Upfront Costs: A majority of the energy enhancements under ECO4 come with no initial outlay or a very minimal one.
Endorsed by the Government: The ECO scheme has the backing of the UK Government, guaranteeing compliance with particular standards and safeguarding homeowners.
Local Authority Adaptability (LA Flex): Through the LA Flex scheme, local councils are able to decide who is eligible for energy efficiency upgrades, giving residents more chances to improve their homes.
Am I Eligible For ECO4 Energy Efficiency Grants in Carmarthenshire?
Many homes in Carmarthenshire, such as houses, flats, and bungalows are eligible to receive energy saving grants. However, there are some rules to be aware of, such as your home must be privately owned or privately rented. You're likely to be eligible for the scheme if you receive any of the following:
● Working Tax Credit
● Pension Guarantee Credit
● Housing Benefit (now part of ECO4)
● Income Support
● Income-Related Employment & Support Allowance
● Income-Based Job Seekers Allowance
● Child Tax Credits
● Child Benefits (depending on how much you earn)
● Universal Credit
● Pension Credit Savings Credit (new in ECO4)
Can I Apply For a Grant If I’m Not on Benefits?
The LA Flex program, part of the government-backed Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme, is available to Carmarthenshire homeowners, landlords and private tenants. This scheme is designed for homes that don’t have a connection to mains gas, where an occupant has a long-term health condition, or where the total income of the property is below £31,000 per year.
LA Flex isn’t directly funded by your local council. However, the council decides who could benefit from the scheme, ensuring residents have more chances to receive support. Two further government schemes, the Great British Insulation Scheme (GBIS) and Local Authority Delivery (LAD) may also be available to residents. These schemes are designed to improve the energy efficiency of properties which have low Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) ratings.
How We Can Help You to Apply For Energy Efficient Grants in Ceredigion
Looking for help with ECO energy saving grants? Use our free and easy-to-use Eligibility Grant Checker, to find out if you could be eligible. Remember, if you or someone in your household receives tax credits or any of the benefits mentioned above, you’ll automatically be eligible for energy upgrades.
We offer a simple 3-step process:
Apply Online: Begin by completing our online form for a preliminary assessment. Our dedicated grants team will review your submission to see if you qualify for any government funding.
Survey: Upon a successful application, we'll coordinate a no-cost, no-obligation survey. This ensures you benefit from the maximum grant possible and introduces you to the best energy-saving products tailored for your home.
Installation: At Energy Saving Grants, we’re proud to partner with Trustmark-accredited installers across the country. This is your assurance of quality installations and upgrades. All installations carried out through government grants will be completed to the highest possible standard. All installations completed are backed by a guarantee of up to 25 years, depending on the type of product installed.
Over the years, we have helped countless residents in Carmarthenshire and we’d be delighted to help you today. Whether you live in Llanelli, Carmarthen, Ammanford, Llandeilo or Kidwelly, we can give you more information about the energy grants available to you and whether you are eligible. Unfortunately, we are unable to help residents living in social housing. In these cases, we advise you to contact your landlord regarding energy upgrades and installations.
Apply Today to Unlock Energy Savings
If you are struggling to heat your home or suffering in the cold, speak to us about ECO energy grants and the upgrades you might be entitled to. Our experts can give you advice on home improvement grants in Carmarthenshire and help you to apply. Discover how much you could save.