Energy Efficiency Grants in Bridgend
If you're a homeowner in Bridgend and finding it challenging to manage your energy expenses, especially when you're forced to limit your heating usage, you might be in the grips of fuel poverty. This is a widespread issue in the UK, affecting millions of people, and unfortunately, it continues to grow.
However, there's some good news for those seeking to improve their home comfort and reduce energy costs – the ECO4 energy-saving grants scheme might provide a solution. Let's take a closer look at this funding opportunity and explore whether you could be eligible for free home improvements.
What is the Energy Company Obligation (ECO4) scheme?
Purpose: The ECO4 program has two main goals. First, it aims to help people who struggle to afford heating for their homes, which is a problem called fuel poverty. Second, it's all about reducing harmful carbon emissions to fight climate change.
How It Works: Energy companies are the key players here. They're encouraged to make UK homes more energy-efficient. They decide which projects to support and choose their partners. But remember, the money doesn't go directly to homeowners; it's directed to the installers who actually do the improvements.
Duration: ECO4 kicked off on April 1, 2022, and it's set to continue until March 31, 2026, or until they've used up all the funding, whichever happens first.
Target Homes: ECO4 focuses on homes that aren't very energy-efficient, especially those with ratings of D to G.
Improvement Goals: In Bridgend, they have specific targets. Homes in energy bands D and E should aim to achieve at least band C, while homes in bands F and G should strive for at least band D.
Types of Improvements: The program covers various improvements, like better insulation, setting up central heating for the first time, trying out renewable heating options, and connecting homes to the main gas supply.
In simple terms, ECO4 is all about getting energy companies to help make homes more energy-efficient, especially the ones that currently aren't efficient at all.
What Energy-Saving Improvements Are Available?
Bridgend residents have the choice of the following energy improvements:
● Electric Storage Heaters: High heat retention storage heaters utilise cheap off-peak electricity to charge overnight and the heaters then release the heat slowly throughout the day. Storage heaters can be a much more energy efficient and cost effective way of heating a property as opposed to electric convector heaters.
● External Wall Insulation – EWI involves installing insulation boards on the outside walls of the property and rendering over the top. EWI is a great way of insulating a solid wall property. However, it is not suitable if the property is a listed building or in a conservation area.
● Loft Insulation: Adds or upgrades insulation in the attic to retain heat within the habitable rooms in the property.
● Internal Wall Insulation: This work involves installing insulation and plasterboard on the inside walls of the property. This is a very effective way of insulating older properties that are constructed with solid brick or solid stone walls.
● Cavity Wall Insulation: Polystyrene beads are inserted within the cavity between the external and internal walls to reduce heat loss via the walls. Not all properties are suitable for cavity wall insulation and so a survey would need to be carried out to determine if your property was suitable.
● Gas Central Heating: If there are currently no radiators in your property and the property has an existing gas meter, then funding may be available to install a boiler and radiators to supply hot water and heat.
● Air Source Heat Pump: An ASHP harnesses heat from the external environment to provide hot water and central heating for your home. This can be a very effective way of heating a home, especially if used in conjunction with solar panels, which would provide free electricity to run the heat pump.
● Solar PV: Renewable technology that converts sunlight into electricity, to provide free electric for your home every day of the year.
● Room In Roof Insulation: Used to insulate a loft that has been converted into a habitable room.
Are You Living in Fuel Poverty?
Having a tough time with your energy bills? Maybe you're only using heating for short periods. Fuel poverty is when a household can't afford the energy costs to keep their home warm and safe. It means tough choices between heating and other needs like food and clothing.
How ECO4 Energy Saving Grants Can Help
There are plenty of good reasons to consider applying for ECO4 funding, including
Financial Savings: ECO4 can cut your energy bills significantly. It makes your home more energy-efficient, so you'll spend less on heating.
Enhanced Comfort: With upgrades like better insulation and heating, your home becomes more comfortable. No more temperature swings, draughts, or cold spots.
Environmental Impact: Boosting your home's energy efficiency helps reduce your carbon footprint. It's essential for fighting climate change and lowering greenhouse gas emissions.
Increased Property Value: Homes with high energy efficiency ratings can fetch a better resale price. It's a selling point for buyers looking for an affordable and comfy home.
Support for Vulnerable Individuals: ECO4 is aimed at those facing fuel poverty, vulnerable people, and low-income households. Even if you don't qualify for benefits, you might still get help if energy bills are a challenge.
Health Benefits: Living in a well-insulated and well-heated home can improve your health. It can ease respiratory issues, arthritis, and mobility problems worsened by cold and damp conditions.
A Range of Options: ECO4 funding offers different solutions tailored to your home's needs, whether it's wall insulation or renewable heating systems.
No or Low Upfront Costs: Many improvements may come with no or minimal upfront costs for homeowners, making it budget-friendly.
Government Support: ECO4 is backed by the UK Government, ensuring work meets specific standards and homeowners are protected.
Local Authority Flexibility (LA Flex): Local authorities help identify households in or at risk of fuel poverty, broadening eligibility for the scheme. With ECO4 funding, you can turn your home into an energy-efficient, cost-effective, and eco-friendly space.
Am I Eligible For ECO4 Energy Efficiency Grants in Bridgend?
A lot of homes in Bridgend can get an ECO4 grant, especially if they don't have mains gas and use other heating sources like oil, LPG, electricity, or solid fuel. You might be eligible if you get any of these benefits:
● Universal Credit
● Housing Benefit
● Child Tax Credits
● Working Tax Credit
● Pension Credit
● Income Support
● Income-Related Employment & Support Allowance
● Income-Based Job Seekers Allowance
● Child Benefits (depending on how much you earn)
Can I Get Funding If I’m Not on Benefits?
The LA Flex program is a crucial part of the government-backed Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme, helping homeowners, landlords, and tenants in Bridgend. It's specifically meant for homes without mains gas, homes with occupants dealing with long-term health issues, or homes with a total income under £31,000 per year.
Even though the local council doesn't directly fund LA Flex, they play a role in deciding who can benefit from it, simplifying the process for you to get the support you need. Furthermore, there are two additional government schemes, the Great British Insulation Scheme (GBIS) and Local Authority Delivery (LAD), both focusing on enhancing the energy efficiency of properties with low Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) ratings.
How We Can Help You to Apply For Energy Efficient Grants in Bridgend
To check if you qualify for these grants, just use the Grant Checker tool below. One of our grant advisors will contact you to discuss the specific eligibility criteria. It's important to note that if someone in your household is already receiving tax credits or any of the mentioned benefits, you may already be eligible without needing to meet additional council criteria.
We offer a simple 3-step process:
Apply Online: Begin by completing our online form for a preliminary assessment. Our dedicated grants team will review your submission to see if you qualify for any government funding.
Survey: Upon a successful application, we'll coordinate a no-cost, no-obligation survey. This ensures you benefit from the maximum grant possible and introduces you to the best energy-saving products tailored for your home.
Installation: Energy Saving Grants, only work with Trustmark accredited installers. This is your guarantee of quality no matter which energy-saving improvements you have fitted. All energy-saving measures installed via the Government grant scheme are supplied with an insurance-backed guarantee of up to 25 years, depending on the specific improvement carried out.
We've assisted many residents in Bridgend, including those in Maesteg, Porthcawl, Bridgend Town, and Pencoed, in securing funding for solar panels, central heating, and insulation. Please be aware that we are unable to assist residents in social housing; in such cases, you should reach out to your landlord for energy efficiency improvements.
Start Saving on Energy Costs Today
Discover the potential energy savings awaiting you through ECO energy efficiency grants in Bridgend. Provide your contact details in the Grant Checker below, and one of our grant advisors will be in touch to discuss the available funding schemes you may qualify for.